Hiroshima Day is celebrated every year on 6th August, to pay tribute to the millions of people who died due to the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima during World War II. This horrific movement occurred on August 6, 1945, when the United States of America (U.S.A) dropped an atomic bomb named “Little Boy” on the Japanese city of Hiroshima. This nuclear attack was done in 1945 with the aim of ending World War II. This day is remembered to promote peace and spread awareness about the danger of nuclear energy and nuclear weapons.
Fact about Little Boy bomb on Hiroshima Day on 6 August 2021
The atomic bomb dropped in Hiroshima, the little boy, weighed 4000 kg and was 10 feet in length. The explosion that took place in it was due to the amount of 0.7g of uranium i.e. less than an alpin or a dollar note. The ship that dropped the bomb on Hiroshima was named Enola Gay. This bomb was dropped on Hiroshima on August 6, 1945 at 8:15 am.
Lakhs of people died in this horrific incident and thousands of people died of serious diseases like cancer over the next year. When the bomb exploded during the Hiroshima attack, the temperature there reached 3,00,000 °C and the ground temperature reached approximately 4,000 °C. It had a crater of about 10 square kilometres, and the storm raged at 1005 kilometers per hour. From this you can understand how dangerous it was.
History of Hiroshima Day
Hiroshima Day 2021: World War II, which lasted from 1939–1945, was the world’s first atomic bomb to be deployed, with over 9000 pounds of uranium-235 being loaded and delivered by a US B-29 bomber aircraft to the Japanese city of Hiroshima on 6 August 1945. Was dropped on Enola. The explosion was so massive that it wiped out about 90% of the city’s population, killing 70,000 people immediately, and about 10,000 later due to the effects of radiation.
Why was this Attack done?
The Second World War between Japan and the United States of America and its allies, which include Britain and the Soviet Union. In the early days, Japan was losing the war. Later, Japan made a pact with China and attacked America. After which US soldiers were being killed every day and to prevent this loss, US President Harry S Truman gave permission to drop the atomic bomb in Japan. After which Japan surrendered and the war ended.
Side Effects of the Attack
This nuclear attack left behind many other epidemics including leukemia, thyroid cancer, breast cancer, lung cancer. High rates of miscarriage and infant death were observed in pregnant women due to radiation blasts. The children born later were affected by disabilities and various other problems. Scientists have revealed that the effects of radiation are lasting for decades in the environment in many forms.
Learn from the Nuclear Attack on Hiroshima-Nagasaki
During World War II, the United States dropped an atomic bomb on the Japanese city of Hiroshima on 6 August 1945 at 8:15 pm. The name of this bomb was Little Boy. After this attack, on August 9, the second atomic bomb was dropped on the city of Nagasaki. Know interesting facts related to it.
During World War II, the United States dropped an atomic bomb on the Japanese city of Hiroshima on 6 August 1945 at 8:15 pm. The name of this bomb was Little Boy. More than 80 thousand people were killed in this attack. 30 percent of the people of the city died instantly. At the same time, thousands of people continued to lose their lives even after years due to nuclear radiation. After this attack, on August 9, the second atomic bomb was dropped on the city of Nagasaki.
Know some important facts related to Hiroshima Nuclear Attack
- Due to this bomb, heat was generated at ground level up to about 4,000 degrees Celsius.
- The bomb could not be dropped at the designated site of Hiroshima was, it was about to fall near Hiroshima’s Aio Bridge.
- But due to the wind blowing in the opposite direction, it cannot reach its target. She dropped off at Sheema Surgical Clinic.
- The flower named Kaner (Oleander) was the first to bloom after this attack. It is the official flower of Hiroshima.
- US Air Force personnel dropped the leaflet to warn the people before the attack.
- Atomic bomb was dropped from American B-29 bomber named Enola Gay.
- The atomic bomb was about 4000 kg.
- In the nuclear attack, some policemen had escaped by hiding their lives in a special way after seeing the atomic glow. This process is called ‘duck and cover’. These policemen went to Nagasaki and informed about this method of rescue. Due to which many people saved their lives in the Nagasaki nuclear attack.
- Little Boy was produced in Los Alamos under the Manhattan Project.
- 90 percent of city doctors killed due to atomic bomb were go. Due to this, the treatment of those injured should be done as soon as possible. It was not possible soon.
- Hiroshima’s Industry Promotional Building was built as a Peace Memorial after the attack.
- The blast produced a heat of 3900 degree Celsius and a thunderstorm with a speed of 1005 kmph.
- There was 6.4 kg of plutonium in this bomb.
- If Japan did not surrender on August 14, the US had planned to drop an atomic bomb on another city on August 19.
Hiroshima Day Quotes and Images
- “I was profoundly moved to be the first United Nations Secretary-General to attend the Peace Memorial Ceremony in Hiroshima. I also visited Nagasaki. Sadly, we know the terrible humanitarian consequences from the use of even one weapon. As long as such weapons exist, so, too, will the risks of use and proliferation” –
- “Japan learned from the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki that the tragedy wrought by nuclear weapons must never be repeated and that humanity and nuclear weapons cannot coexist” – Daisaku Ikeda
- “We are still living in the aftershock of Hiroshima, people are still the scars of history” – Edward Bond