Today, NDTV journalist Ravish Kumar has won Asia’s Ramon Magsaysay Award 2019. Popularly known as ‘Asia’s Nobel Prize’.
The award committee tweeted a list of recipients for 2019, saying that
These are the five recipients of Asia’s premier prize and highest honor, the 2019 Ramon Magsaysay Award.
- Ravish Kumar has won this award because of his news show, Prime Time, which “deals with real-life, under-reported problems of ordinary people”.
- Ravish Kumar, 44, who is a senior executive editor of NDTV India. He is one of the most influential TV journalists, the award citation said.
The name of four other winners of the Ramon Magsaysay Award 2019.
- Ko Swe Win from Myanmar.
- Angkhana Neelapaijit from Thailand.
- Raymundo Pujante Cayabyab from the Philippines.
- Kim Jong-Ki from South Korea.
The award is given every year to individuals or organizations in Asia who manifest the same selfless service and transformative influence that ruled the life of the late and beloved Filipino leader.
List of other Indians winners of Ramon Magsaysay Award.
The name of other Indians who received this award (Ramon Magsaysay Awar) in the past, whose names are:
- Amitabha Chowdhury (1961)
- Boobli George Verghese (1975)
- Gour Kishore Ghosh (1981)
- Arun Shourie (1982)
- Palagummi Sainath (2007).